Skip to the content
- The Calliope Hummingbird is the smalled bird to be found in both Canada and the United States.
- The genus name of this species means"little star."
- The Calliope Hummingbird is the only member of the Stellula genus.
- This hummingbird is known to leave its breeding grounds quite early compared to other birds, but even still they do not do so as early as the Rufous Hummingbird. It is belived that the Calliope Hummingbirds leave their breeding grounds as early as they do to enable them to take advantage of the wildflowers that are blooming in the western mountains of North America at that time.
- This hummingbird winters in Mexico.