Hummingbirds are such truly amazing birds and they never cease to amaze me. It is my hope that reading these amazing facts will fuel your own imagination and cause you to want to discover more about these truly amazing birds for yourself.
- Of all bird species, hummingbirds have the largest known relative heart size. The heart represents 2.4 percent of their body weight.
- If the average man’s metabolism was comparable to that of a hummingbird, he would have to eat 285 pounds of hamburger every day in order to maintain his weight.
- An active hummingbird can starve to death in as little as two hours.
- 90 percent of the hummingbird’s diet is nectar.
- A hummingbird will visit between 1,000 and 2,000 blossoms each day.
- Hummingbirds do not have a sense of smell, as far as is known. They use their eyesight to help them locate nectar sources and to get insects out of the air or off leaves.
- The oldest historical mention of hummingbirds dates back to the Tiano Native Americans, around the time of Columbus.
I hope you will enjoy discovering these few interesting facts about the hummingbird. What other types facts about the hummingbird have you always wanted to know? Let me know and I will try to find the answer and let you know about it in a future blog post. Happy hummingbird watching everyone!