People often wonder if nectar solution should be boiled or not. This is a question that I have been asked over and over and therefore I will now address the issue in this post. There seems to be many differing opinions on this matter, but I personally believe that it is best boil hummingbird nectar solution. Let me explain why.
By boiling the nectar solution, the chlorine that exists in the water will be driven out and this will also kill mold and yeast spores that might exist in the nectar solution. Doing so will help ensure that the nectar solution will last longer both in the feeder and in your refrigerator.
Boling the nectar solution also helps kill bacteria that would be harmful to the hummingbirds.
Boiling the solution helps to ensure that the sugar is completely dissolved. Once this occurs, let the nectar solution cool completely before filling your feeders.
A word of caution about boiling nectar solution, you must remember to not boil nectar solution for too long, because by doing that ratio of the mixture (the amount of water to the amount of sugar used) will change as it is boiled off.
I sincerely hope that this hopes everyone make a more informed decision on this matter. The benefits would seem to far outweigh the time it takes to do so. Why not air on the side of caution in this matter, rather then risk causing any harm to the hummingbirds?