Categories
Hummingbird Feeders

Solving the Problem of Black Mold

Black mold is a problem that can develop in your hummingbird feeder when it is not cleaned often enough.  This can be a very serious matter because it can harm or even kill the hummingbirds.  So, I can’t stress this enough your hummingbird feeders must be clean, clean, clean!  I would suggest cleaning it every single time you refill the feeder.

The best way to solve the problem of black mold is to clean your feeder using a diluted solution of bleach and water.  You will want to use 1 part bleach to 10 parts water to soak the feeder in either for several hours or even overnight.  This will kill the mold.  Then be sure to rinse the feeder extremely well before refilling it with fresh nectar solution.

Just remember that the hummingbirds are depending on you for a safe and dependable food source.  As a result, it is important to take the responsibility of caring for and maintaining our feeders very seriously, so please watch out for and try to prevent black mold from occurring in the first place.  If it does occur, this post will help you successfully solve the problem of black mold.

One reply on “Solving the Problem of Black Mold”

Yes a bleach solution WILL kill mold… HOWEVER you should soak your rinsed feeder in CLEAN water at least the same amount of hours it soaked in bleach water. Plastics will absorb bleach so it has to be leached out prior to using the container again! I even do this with glass that I’ve had bleach water sitting if for any length of time. Better safe than sorry!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *